Immuta Quickstart Guide
Audience: Data Owners
Content Summary: This guide outlines how to add a data source and apply Local Policies in Immuta to demonstrate dynamic policy enforcement. While in the Immuta UI, you may use the Guidance icon in the bottom left corner for further instructions.
Prerequisites: an Immuta instance. If you have not already purchased Immuta, you can sign up for a Free Trial.
1 - Create a Data Source
Create a data source by connecting your own data:
- Click the Data Sources icon in the left sidebar.
- Click New Data Source.
Select the storage technology tile that contains the data you want to expose. The list of enabled technologies is configurable and may differ from the image below.
Complete the required fields in the Connection Information section and click Test Connection.
Decide how to virtually populate the data source by selecting Table or SQL Statement.
If you choose Table, click Edit in the table selection box that appears.
By default, all tables are selected. Select and deselect tables by clicking the checkbox to the left of the table name in the Import Tables menu. You can create multiple data sources at one time by selecting multiple tables.
After making your selection(s), click Apply.
- Before entering a SQL statement, test the statement to verify that it works.
- Enter your SQL statement in the text box.
- Click Validate Statement.
Complete the Basic Information section:
- The SQL Schema Name field is the SQL name that the data source will exist under in the Immuta Query Engine.
- The Data Source Name field is the name that will be shown in the Immuta UI.
The SQL Table Name will be the name of the table in the Immuta Query Engine.
For an extensive tutorial on creating a data sources see Chapter 4: Connecting Data.
2 - Build a Data Policy
- Navigate to the Data Source, and then click the Policies tab.
- Scroll to the Data Policies menu, and click New Policy.
- Select Mask from the dropdown menu.
- Select using hashing and the column you would like to mask in the subsequent dropdown menus.
- Choose the conditions that will drive the policy: select for, and then select everyone.
Click Create and then Save All to create your new policy.
3 - Query the Data
Click the Query Editor icon in the left sidebar.
Select the data source you just applied the policy to from the Tables list.
Click the dropdown menu icon next to the data source, and select Preview Sample Data.
View data in the Results panel.
The images below display the results of a query before and after the masking policy was applied to the
Query Results Before Policy is Applied
Query Results After Policy is Applied
Beyond the dynamic policy enforcement illustrated above, the chapters listed below explain and illustrate other features of Immuta, including Global Policies, Sensitive Data Detection, and native project workspaces (which allow users to write data back to Immuta).