Getting Started with Discover
- Snowflake, Databricks Spark, or Databricks Unity Catalog integration
- Registered Snowflake or Databricks data sources
- Immuta permission
Sensitive data discovery (SDD) is an Immuta Discover feature that scans your data sources and applies relevant tags when data is recognized. This eliminates a manual tagging process for your data, saving you time and providing standard taxonomy across all your data sources.
To learn more, see the Data discovery page.
Enable sensitive data discovery
Enable sensitive data discovery (SDD) to start using the Default Framework on all of your registered data sources. This out-of-the-box framework discovers common data types and tags them automatically when a new data source is registered.
- Turn on SDD
- Contact your Immuta representative to turn on native SDD for Snowflake and Databricks
- Trigger SDD on a data source
Configure SDD for your data
For additional control, create your own patterns to recognize the data that matters to you. Add these patterns to new frameworks and specify the data sources that need this framework. This fine-level control creates automatic tagging that is relevant and accurate to your data, requiring fewer manual adjustments to the resulting tags.
- Customize SDD for your data:
- Assign your framework to specific data sources
Adjust Discovered tags
If you have any tags that are applied to your data sources by SDD that you don't want, you can easily disable these tags for each data source. This ensures that they will not be applied to the data source again if SDD is re-run.
Immuta comes with a default framework containing built-in Discovered tags and built-in patterns. These patterns and tags can be used in your own frameworks.
Classification is an Immuta Discover feature that categorizes your data based on the content and the associated risk the data poses. This increases your understanding of your data and allows you to make faster decisions about it.
Contact your Immuta representative to turn on classification and the data dashboard for your Immuta tenant.
Activate a framework
Activate any of the following frameworks:
- To start seeing classification tags, enable the Data Security Framework.
- If you are using Snowflake and want to see information on your sensitive data in Detect, enable the Risk Assessment Framework.
- Opt to enable any of the other compliance frameworks.
Complete the following steps for each framework you want to activate:
- Navigate to Discover and select the Classification tab.
- Click the more actions icon in the Actions column for the framework you want to activate.
- Select Activate.
Configure classification for your data
Adjust classification tags
If you have any tags that are applied to your data sources by classification that you don't want, you can easily disable these tags for each data source. This ensures that they will not be applied to the data source again when classification is re-run.